Thorne’s Basic Prenatal is specifically formulated with the special needs of conception, pregnancy, and breastfeeding in mind. Thorne’s formula contains well-absorbed, tissue ready vitamins and minerals that are gentle on the stomach and non constipating.
Pre conception, pregnancy, and nursing are critical times to optimise the mother’s health and nutrition which is important for both for mother and baby. Overall nutritional and caloric needs greatly increase during this time. However, its often difficult for a woman to obtain the daily nutrient required through diet alone.
Thorne’s Basic Prenatal Benefits for each stage:
• A daily multivitamin/mineral that supports woman of childbearing age.
• Provides beneficial nutrients that are important from the moment of conception.
• Folate facilitates healthy brain and spinal cord development. Basic Prenatal includes the bioactive form of folate – 5-MTHF.
• Vitamins C, B6, and K have been shown to benefit “morning sickness.”
• Contains the well absorbed iron bisglycinate to meet a pregnant woman’s increased need for iron.
• Provides the extra nutrients needed for continued healthy fetal development and to prepare mother and baby for birth.
After Pregnancy through Breastfeeding
• Nutritional support for increased demand for calcium and vitamin D in the diet.
Directions: Take 3 capsules daily or as recommended by your health professional.
Iodine may occasionally cause an allergic reaction in some individuals.
Consult your health professional before using this product If pregnant.
Interactions: As vitamin K interferes with the effect of anticoagulant drugs (like Coumadin), the concurrent use of these agents should be avoided.
5-methyltetrahydrofolate (5-MTHF) supplementation is not recommended concurrent with methotrexate cancer therapy, as it can interfere with methotrexate’s anti-neoplastic activity; however, this folate source has not been shown to interfere with the anti-inflammatory activity of methotrexate. An individual taking methotrexate for psoriasis or rheumatoid arthritis can safely take a supplement containing folate.
Additional warning: Accidental overdose of iron containing products is a leading cause of fatal poisoning in children under six. Keep this product out of reach of children.
Vitamin C can cause diarrhea in some individuals in large doses, which can vary from person to person and resolves when the amount is reduced.